The Fabricista Fashion Challenge Week 3: Bundle Challenge

Monday, September 30, 2013

This week was the bundle challenge.
The rules...

Bundle Challenge
Remember that bundle we sent you?
You are finally allowed to use it!
We gave everyone a 6 yard mystery bundle and none of them are the same!
8 Seamstresses will compete in this challenge.
You will have one week to complete this challenge.
Challenge: Using the 6 yard Bundle we have sent you, make a 2 piece garment. What is in the bundle is a mystery and everyone will receive something different. Try to incorporate the three fabrics in some way. You can use fabric from your stash to finish your look, but keep in mind that the bundle fabric must make up a majority of your outfit. You will be judged on creativity, craftsmanship, the way you use your fabrics together, and fit. 


The fabric I received screamed casual work attire to me. See my fabrics here.  Tweed, suiting..yeah.  My personal goal was to make something acceptable to wear in the office, particularly skinny trousers and a button down blouse.  The white fabric has a very fine twill and a slight stretch.  I'm guessing a cotton/lycra blend.  I've been wanting to make Grainline's Archer shirt for forever and even though this fabric was a little thicker than the pattern suggests for I decided to give it a try.  The black suiting would be my skinny trousers using Burda 104.  Now where to incorporate that third piece of fabric like the rules state???  After searching Pinterest for inspiration I stumbled across this picture and knew I must make a vest.  I know that technically makes 3 garments, not two, sue me.

front1

Let's talk pants first.  I've been on the hunt for a skinny trousers pattern for awhile and finally came across the perfect version.  Now making pants can take some time especially if you have fit issues and attaching a waistband and a zipper...I ain't got time for that!  I already had a lot on my plate sewing wise so I was thrilled to see these pants have no waistband! I was hoping this fact would make them a little quicker to sew up.  After assembling my pattern and cutting it out I took a look at the ONE page instructions.  A big UHM here, so where's the step by step instructions and illustrations?? Are all Burda patterns like this?  So my inexperience with pants (I've only made one pair with a zipper and fly) caused me to literally chuck these instructions in the trash and opt for a side zipper instead of a front fly zip.  I just ain't got time for that!
 
back

Most of my time was spent on my blouse, the Archer by Grainline Patterns.  I love this pattern and I've already got a plaid cotton from Mood on standby for another version.  I followed Jen's sew along and it is super helpful.  I'm super happy with how my first version has turned out.  For my next version I think I will add some sleeve tabs since my sleeves are always worn rolled up.

front2

For my vest I used New Look 6914, version B. This was a fairly easy pattern however I got totally stuck on how to attach the lining.  I was running out of time and after having a serious love affair with my seam ripper I had to let him go, I just didn't have time for him anymore.  After many tears and swear words I sat that bad boy down and put the lining in my own way.

buttoned

This was one of the hardest challenges for me.  A week to make a two piece garment isn't near enough for a perfectionist like me.  I say that as I squeezed out three pieces!  I'm happy to say I have a wearable outfit for the office.  I will make all three of these patterns again and will be happy to be able to spend more time getting the correct fit.  I've already seen some of the other contestants outfits and once again I'm blown away.  Super talented peeps! I hope mine is good enough to get me into the next round!

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. Perfection Shanni!! Love it all. That was an ambitious project and you killed it!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That really makes me feel better. I have spent so much time on this yet I'm so filled with doubt about it. Hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! AMAZING job! The three pieces look so well done, like you just walked right out of Banana Republic or the Loft ;) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure this'll get you to the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing. I can't believe you put all three together in just a week. You look really professional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, three garments in a week is amazing!! You've definitely got a winning outfit here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smart sexy business lady! Love it and way to go knocking out 3 complicated pieces in a short time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is totally amazing! You've blown me away to do this so quick. It looks smashing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So smart and a huge challenge to complete in a week. Well done! Speaking if trousers... I finally made a toile for Simplicity 4044, then had to order a book to help me fit them!!! So I am in awe of you making a new trouser pattern plus two others in such a short time frame.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your outfit looks great! I'm seriously impressed that you made made all three in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three outfits in a week? Wow, that is some going! All the items look great, you definitely have a great outfit for the office now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woah, all that in seven days?! They all fit you really well, and I love that shirt in particular. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking outfit. Good luck in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look at your sassy vest! Loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A *great* trio, Shanni! It really does look as if you walked out of a RTW store, in a good way! The fit is great and all three pieces are so wearable together or separately! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've made such a nice, classic, and well fitting outfit, Shanni. So sorry for all of the trouble you had. I bet you're relieved that you're finished with that one! At least you have some great separates to wear to work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great outfit! You did an amazing job and in such a short time frame!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shanni this outfit is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would think I was highly productive if I made these three things in a month, let alone a week! Looks such a cohesive and cool outfit, very impressive (and I see you and your buttonhole foot are now friends!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! This is killer! I love, love, love this look on you! And way to finish it in record time-- I'd never get ONE of these pieces done in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely style. That is worthwhile.

    african kente fabric

    ReplyDelete