My first dress!!

Sunday, February 26, 2012


So I've made my first dress.  I've had it made for quite sometime just couldn't bring myself to put it on and take pictures. I've been in a funk lately.  I used Lisette 2060-Itinerary dress pattern by Simplicity.  I loved the way the dress looked on the pattern so I bought the same exact fabric.  



 Maybe next time I'll get a little crazy and pick out my own design.  My intentions were to wear this dress to work but it's a little uncomfortable and a little too short.  The sleeves were the biggest pain in my ass!! Wowza!  I ripped them out and redid them 3 times.  They are still to tight and I can't lift my arms up all the way.  I feel as if I'm in a straight jacket, which is what I needed to be in after this first dress attempt.  I probably should of started out with a muslin first but I was in such a hurry to get it done I didn't want to waste any time.  I've been trying to justify the expense and space a dress form is going to take up and I think I've about got all my bases covered.  I don't know how many times I had to stop and try the dress on.  I felt like a human pin cushion as I got stuck by pins every time.  I'm also hoping it will help in getting a better fit.  If it wasn't for the belt on this dress it would look like I was wearing a potato sack.  But I have to say for my first attempt it looks pretty good.    It wasn't a total flop as I can still turn it into a really cute handbag.  I've seen a lot of people take this pattern and turn it into a really cute tunic.  That may be my next try after I get my dress form!!  So put on your sunglasses (my white legs are blinding) and take a look at my very first dress!!!


 

So happy I'm done!

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. you are cute as a button styling in your new design! you did an awesome job! looking forward to see what you make next!
    marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out adorable, maybe a stretch cotton for the next version to make the arms more comfortable would help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was a little difficult to get on and off too. I thought I was stuck at one point.

      Delete
  3. Expensive dress form? Make your own! I recently just made one out of duct tape, pillow stuffing, two old t-shirts and a floor lamp. And guess what? It fits better than those $400 ones you get from the store, because it is your exact size. It was fun, too :) There are loads of ideas and techniques on the net about making your own, if you are interested. Good job on your dress, my first few dresses were certainly not as 'wearable' as this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have considered making my own dressform. Found some pretty good tutorials on the internet. I may have even talked my husband into helping wrap me. I think he even thinks it looks fun. lol. It would be smart of me to make one first and see how I like it. Been reading too many reviews of others who are not happy with what they bought.

      Delete
    2. Yes! It is so much fun... and also weird to stand in front of your perfect body double!

      Delete
  4. This looks great! I can't believe it's your first dress! The yoke is super flattering! Thanks for visiting my blog, by the way-- your comment got caught in the spam filter so I just saw it now. Your pug is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This came out great!! Can't wait to see your next creation!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your version, amazing considering its the first dress you have made. Its a shame the arms are so tight like mine were, I made a size 10 dress with size 14 arms in the end to solve the issue. Sewing is all very new to me too, reassuring to see someone going through the same trials. Lisette 2245 was my first pattern, I can't get enough of it and have made four of them now, it takes me a few days to sew but well worth the effort. Also it has no sleeves to attach on the short sleeve version and the long sleeves are far easier too.

    http://sewshappy.blogspot.com/search/label/lisette%202245

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress looks great, and the fabric really suits your colouring!

    ReplyDelete